Eye creams are an essential part of any skincare routine. Even though they are mainly advertised to women in their 50s and up, people in their 20s and 30s should especially consider purchasing an eye cream. But what does eye cream do exactly? Eye cream products are rich in incredible ingredients that can help your skin maintain an overall young appearance.
Here are 3 reasons why you should be using eye creams in your care routine starting today.
Reason #1: Prevents signs of aging
This might seem like an obvious point. However, we often mistake eye creams as products that minimize wrinkles and other signs of aging skin. While for some products that might be true, the main goal of eye cream is to prevent fine lines, wrinkles, and maintain hydration of the skin.
Have you ever wondered why eye creams typically have a heavier, thicker consistency than other skincare products? It’s mainly because the skin around our eyes is relatively thin and delicate in comparison to the rest of our faces. For the same reason, signs of aging typically appear around the eyes first.
Using eye creams while your skin is still naturally well hydrated and elastic will help delay signs of aging.
Reason #2: Eye creams are not just for the undereye area
In commercials and in films, we typically see women apply eye creams under their eyes. While that is the most popular target spot, you don’t have to limit yourself when using your favorite eye cream. Because these products are so hydrating and rich in amazing ingredients, such as retinol, you might consider applying an eye cream:
- on sensitive/irritated area
- around the corners of your lips
- around the corners of your nose
- on acne pimples
As dermatologist Hadley King, MD explained in an article by Refinery29, “Because eye cream is specifically formulated to treat delicate skin, it’s likely to be gentler, less irritating, and more moisturizing than your average facial moisturizer”. We highly recommend looking at the list of ingredients of an eye cream of your choice and research if they can also help with other skin concerns, such as hyperpigmentation or dehydration.
Reason #3: Must-have ingredients in one bottle
The most common ingredients and their benefits that you can find in an eye cream are:
- retinol – minimizes acne, wrinkles, and dark spots. Retinol is a great ingredient to prevent dull skin and to improve the skin’s texture.
- vitamin C – helps fight acne and even out skin tone, which is great for those with acne scars. For aging skin, vitamin C is ideal to protect skin from UV (note: it is especially critical to wear sunscreen if you use vitamin C). Other benefits include brightening and hydrating skin, which is important to maintain as our skin ages. Vitamin C is commonly used in eye creams for the benefit of reducing the appearance of under-eye bags and/or dark circles.
- peptides – this ingredient offers protein that enhances the production of collagen; it helps to maintain a youthful and clear appearance. Peptides might also prevent certain acne. In general, peptides allow your skin to be more elastic and stronger.
- green tea – there are numerous benefits of green tea for your skin. It is known as a cooling ingredient with its anti-inflammatory properties. When it comes to anti aging, green tea not only can prevent or soothe sun damage but also increases hydration and moisture of the skin. As we know, the more hydrated skin is, the slower the formation of wrinkles and fine lines.
- caffeine – if you are relatively new to skincare, you might be unfamiliar with caffeine as an ingredient. In fact, caffeine stimulates blood circulation. This is great for the under eye area to prevent fine lines and wrinkles! It also has anti-inflammatory properties like green tea.
- aloe vera – this is a very popular ingredient. As a result, you might often see it as a key ingredient in various products. The reason for its popularity is the cooling effects aloe vera has. It is also generally a safe ingredient for sensitive skin. For aging concerns, aloe vera increases collagen production, which means it helps the skin maintain its tightness.
If you can’t get enough of some of these ingredients, check out our Night Night 365 Sleeping Pad (which has aloe vera listed in its top 10 ingredients).